Search

POISONOUS EATS & DANGEROUS TREATS


The weather is getting cooler and holiday season is upon us. There are plenty of dangers lurking for your furry friend. If you suspect your dog has eaten something that might have an adverse reaction on it’s health, please don’t hesitate to call your vet or the Animal Poison Control Center (ASPCA).

Chocolate

Chocolate is one of the more common things that people know dogs can’t eat. The higher the precent of cocoa in chocolate, the more toxic it i to a dog. Cocoa powder is extremely dangerous for dogs to ingest. According to Ceasar Milan, “toxic doses of chocolate can cause abnormal heartbeats, kidney failure, and death.” If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, Pet MD says be on the lookout for vomiting, diarrhea and seizures.

Onions and Garlic

Onions are poisonous for both cats and dogs. If your pet eat large amounts they can be at risk for a damaging loss of red blood cells, called anemia. Symptoms include lethargy, reduced appetite, and gastrointestinal irritation.

Grapes

Not much is known about exactly what causes it, but grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in some animals. Some dogs are fine eating them while others can’t eat them in any amounts. If your dog gets ahold of a box of raisins, be on the lookout for vomiting, increased urination, and increased thirst.

Cooked Bones

Bones, especially cooked ones can splinter in your dogs causing bloody stool or vomit as they try to expel it from their systems. This will definitely result in a visit to the vet and feeling like a really crummy dog parent. They might enjoy it for the moment, but it’s really not worth it.

Xylitol

This artificial sweetener can cause some serious liver damage in dogs as well as an alarming drop in blood sugar. Xylitol is found as a sugar replacement in many things such as sugarless gum and baked goods. This is a very potent chemical. A small dog eating a single piece of sugar free gum could experience life threatening side effects in as little as fifteen minutes.

For a more extensive list, visit the Humane Society's Website. If you ever suspect your dog has eaten something that might be hazardous to it’s health, do not hesitate to call your veterinarian, the ASPCA or the Pet Poison Helpline (PPH). Have a great holiday season, and keep your furry friends safe!

#DogTrainerSanDiego #DogTrainingSanDiego #Poison #Food #DogFood #Toxic

ABOUT US

Here at Intelligent K9, our dogs are our kids. We realize the importance of including our dog into our lifestyle as much as possible. For many of us, this can be challenging when our dog does not listen.


No one gets a dog and imagines conflict and frustration.

 

We have dogs join us as family with the intention of enhancing our lives but it doesn’t always happen that way. We have lots to learn as dog owners and Intelligent K9 San Diego dog training is here to help! 

INFORMATION

CONTACT

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • RSS Social Icon